WordPress vs Medium- Which is the Best Platform to Build a Website
Posted on Dec, 9, 2021 I Elise
Every person who wants to create a website on the internet has to choose a platform for his business and its website. The two very famous platforms which allow various websites to be developed on them are WordPress and Medium. Because of its higher popularity users are eager to know which is the best platform to build a website WordPress vs Medium.
In this article, we will draw out a comparison between WordPress and Medium, and talk about their features and specifications. This will help you decide which platform is the better option for you according to your budget and requirements.
Today, almost 42% of the total websites that are present on the internet are formed on WordPress. It is used by a variety of people, such as bloggers, small and medium businesses and even great companies and enterprises which have large turnovers. You can create a blog for entertainment or informative purposes, build a website for the promotion of your product, or even start an online store for selling your products online with the help of WordPress.
Features of WordPress
- Simple- It is a very simple and easy-to-use option, which does not demand for any expertise. The user does not require building up any code or establishment of any manual for the purpose.
- Layouts and themes- Whether your website is professional or for entertainment, for the display of items or for selling purposes too, WordPress has a variety of themes and layouts for your website matching its aura.
- Tools- For the further beautification of your website, WordPress comes with many tools such as image library, maps, forms, photo carousel, etc., which can be added to your website. You can use top WordPress Plugins to make your WordPress look more attractive.
- No limits- There is a wide scope for people who have websites on WordPress, as it is a limitless platform, with a large audience and no limit of traffic you can receive on your website.
- Add-ons – WordPress comes with a large library of add-ons, which you can add to your website to make it more dynamic. You can add forms and subscription buttons, backup options, etc. to your website.
- SEO- It comes with many built-in SEO tools, which help you make your website and the content available on it SEO friendly.
- Domain Options- When you go with WordPress then you have multiple options to go with the required domain name. You can easily change a domain name in WordPress.
Medium is a great platform for writers. Here, people can share and express their views regarding various topics happening in the world. It is an easy and free option, where people can connect with others and have discussions about various topics. It is a good option for blogging or raising your voice regarding some issues of concern.
Features of Medium-
- In-built editor- Medium comes with an Editor of its own, which is user-friendly. You only have to express your views by writing them down, and Medium will take care of all the editing that needs to be done on your piece of writing.
- Tracker- This feature tracks the changes that the writers have made to their document, making it easier for them to publish a fresh piece every time.
- Options of publishing- The writers are given the option to choose whether they wish to publish only one story of their own or a whole series of stories. If they write a series, Medium automatically makes sure that the reader is reminded to take a look at all of the stories written by that particular writer.
- SEO Tools- Medium comes with basic SEO tools for the users, so their material can be search engine optimized. Tools such as story descriptions, and story URL customization help the writers to make their content more SEO-friendly, in order to attract a wider audience.
- Generation of income- It is a good platform for writers who wish to generate income using their writings. Its program named as member partnership program helps the writers to get paid for their articles.
We have seen that both Medium, as well as WordPress, come with a wide range of features to provide their customers with. But in order to conclude which is the better option for you, we shall now make a comparison between the two.
The comparison Of WordPress Or Medium
To choose which is the best platform for creating a mini-blog let’s explore the comparison of WordPress and Medium. Both are highly popular but to find the best one that works according to your guidelines let’s explore the differences.
- Medium- Medium comes with a free trial plan and a free account that can be created on it. Although, if you wish to be a member, you have to pay $5 per month. The membership though comes with a lot more features than the free account, such as unlimited exclusive stories, Offline and Audio versions and a chance to generate income by publishing the articles.
- WordPress- It also comes with a Free to use account type also. Although, there are paid services that start from the price of $4 per month and go up to $25 per month, as the features increase. The paid plans come with extra features such as removal of ads, extra storage, monetization of your website, etc.
- Medium- It is a web-based software, which can also run on Android or iPhone/iPad as an application. Being Web-based means that it can be used on almost every Operating system and any device.
- WordPress- It also has a web-based platform, and comes in the form of software for Windows OS, Mac OS, Android as well as iOS.
- Medium- It is a very easy-to-use software that comes with many features. This makes it a good option for a small, medium as well as large businesses. Freelancers can also use it for the purpose of their professional or personal usage.
- WordPress- It is also a great option for all the users, whether they belong to a business of any scale, or are a freelancer. Its free, as well as paid versions of various ranges, make it great for people who want to invest a lot as well as people who do not want to invest even a bit.
4. Customer support
- Medium- There is no option of live chat or call support available to the users. They can only get support through the medium of Email, where they can send their queries and receive required assistance.
- WordPress- WordPress is not so good at providing support. The only way a person can get to know about WordPress is through the training which is provided at the beginning of starting to use WordPress. For any other query, you just have to look into its FAQs.
Therefore, we have drawn a comparison between WordPress and Medium. If you intend on starting a website or a blog online, you can check which one of them meets your requirements and select the perfect option for yourself.